Wednesday, December 17, 2008





My sister and I took Emily to the Florence Griswold museum yesterday. What a wonderful time of year to see this historic property. The history of the museum is very interesting. According to the women that I talk with at the front desk, the museum has a total of 5 buildings (not all are open to the public)

The website gives an excellent prospective on the history of the property. The first artist found the home in 1899. Looking to paint an landscape he asked the home owners if it would be alright for him to spend some time with them. The family haply accepted. When word got out about the property an alliance know as the Lyme Art Colony formed.

Although the family had a rule that only artist were allowed to stay at the home, they made one exception. In 1903 President Woodrow Wilson came to stay with them. He brought with him his wife and daughters and was so taken by the property that he came back three more times to visit.

The main Museum was adorned with beautiful Christmas trees. There was an exhibit with sculptures and one of the women artists of ct. My Favorite was “A Portrait of Mother and Child 1914” The artist was a woman by the name of Amanda Brewster Swell. She was a women artist who lived in Connecticut from 1859-1926. I found this Painting to be reminiscent of “A caress by Marry Cassette which can be seen at the New Britton Museum of American Art.

Being a new mom I feel I was draw to this painting simply for its meaning. It shows a mother and child in a loving embrace. The artist doesn’t an excellent job portraying that there is no grater love in the world. I also like the soft tones of the paint. I have seen other paintings of similar subjects in bolder coloring. Although beautiful, now seeing this painting I feel that she pastel colors are better job of putting a soft touch to this heartfelt subject

Again another gemstone hiding among us in our home state. If you did not see FGM as one of your day trips for class, I would recommend it as one to take on your own time

*I have included an up-load of "Baby's First Caress for you all to see in comparison to the painting at FGM"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home