Thursday, December 11, 2008

Yale





It’s so wonderful to live in an aria that is so rich with culture. Many will say Connecticut is so great because 2 hours north we have Boston and 2 hours south we have Manhattan. Lets not over look the fact that we have the finest university in the country in our home town. This gives us access to wonderful facilities that include the Yale Museums of art.

I was able to share this experience with my mother and Emily. Even though she is so young I feel it is important to expose her to art. I have taken her to every museum I have been to and even talk to her and read the captions out load. You may think I am crazy but I feel that the more I expos her to it now, the more likely she will be to understand it and appreciate it as an adult.

I saw some intrusting work this time around. They had a Photo exhibit that was all shots of “eye teasers”. They were pictures of things that trick you into thinking they are something ells. For example I think one may have been an up close shot of some ones leg folded cafe to thy but it looked like cleavage. It was very cool! I also took a shot of a Picasso that I think I have seen on display before.

There was a painting of an artist that I have never seen before that I decided I wanted to dig into a bit and learn something new. His name is Sano di Pietro. I had a hard time finding a bio on him so I am not shore how well know he is but I did find his art intriguing.

Sano di Pietro was an Italian painter who lived in Siana from 1406 to1481. He went to art school in Florence. He is most noted work was on the Cathedral of Siena. He was classified as a Renaissance painter. His would have been considered in competition with Raphael.

The Painting is called “Saint Anthony Abbot tormented by Demons”. It is Tempera and gold on panel. This medium seems to be a trade mark of the artists as I found more information on him plugging in the medium then running a search on his name. Tempera is paint made with egg yoke. You can grind the color into the yoke. Artist like this paint because it dried very quickly.

The painting was commissioned in 1435. If my art history serves me right I belive this was a time when the artist we not free to paint what they wanted to paint. They were told by the church what it was they were to do. Most of the time it would be ether a religious work, painting Nobles or architectural painting.

The painting caught my eye do to its brilliant coloring. It shows the Saint tormented by four demands in a tropical looking setting. It looks to me more like something that would be painted more recently because of the way the demands are portrayed. They haven’t seemed to change too much over the years. I also find it interesting that the demands are attacking him in what look to be such a paradise. I think the artist was trying to show that it does not matter who you are or were you are that any one can be tormented by there own diamonds, any time any place.

All in all Yale was a great trip. I would defiantly recommend this as a great museum to some one who is looking to learn more about art and is not ready to hit a big museum. It has a little bit of everything but yet it is small enough to not run the risk of being over welling to a young person or a new adult just getting into art.

5 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Stephanie, I remember those "eye teasers" you mentioned and thought they were great too. I wish I had such a creative mind. I'm sure Emily will grow up loving art.

5:11 AM  
Blogger steph102981 said...

Well she only gets that form one side. As much as I have tried I cant get my hubby into it. Hes more of a video game guy. 30 years old and he still plays games lol

6:14 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Good pictures, Stephanie...

Saint Anthony is interesting because he was the first and earliest monk or monastic... here is a direct quote

"Saint Anthony Abbot - ca. 261-356

In the third century Anthony sold all his possessions, gave the proceeds to the poor, and went into the desert to lead a life of prayer and contemplation. His example attracted other men to the desert, and eventually they formed the first Christian monastic community. The Life of St. Anthony by St. Athanasius of Alexandria (298-373) spread the saint's influence and inspired the formation of monastic communities throughout the Christian world.

In the middle ages, St. Anthony was the patron of a monastic order known as the Hospitallers of St. Anthony, who made a specialty of treating diseases of the poor in medieval cities. These monks wore a black habit and in many cities supported their charities by raising swine. For this reason, Anthony is often depicted in the same black habit and with a pig as his attribute (example). Bells were used to call swine in at the end of the day, so another attribute is a single bell or a pair (example). Yet another is a walking stick with a tau-shaped top (example).

The Golden Legend's life of Anthony begins with the brutal torments visited upon him by demons, and these are a favorite subject in the art (image). As a symbol of his victory over these demons, some portraits show him with a devil underfoot, as at left.

Narrative images tend to draw on episodes from the Golden Legend's lives of Anthony and St. Paul the Hermit. The former famously undertook a difficult journey (image) to visit the latter and learn from his wisdom (image). While he was visiting, the two were fed by a raven that brought one loaf of bread for each of them (image). On a second visit, St. Anthony found the old hermit dead. Lacking a shovel to bury him, he managed to get him into the ground with the help of some passing lions (image).

Another popular narrative subject is Anthony's encounter with a heap of gold, which he shuns as a device of the devil (image).

The saint is also known as St. Anthony of Egypt or St. Anthony of the Desert.

Feast day: January 17"

http://www.aug.edu/augusta/iconography/anthonyAbbot.html



I do have to point out some of the mis spellings intrusting, ells, folded cafe to thy, I am not shore how well know he is , caught my eye do to ,tormented by there own diamonds, I would defiantly recommend, risk of being over welling... A spell check would pick up most of that....

1:11 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Stephanie, I don't think you are crazy at all exposing Emily to art. “Saint Anthony Abbot tormented by Demons” is a very interesting painting. I remember seeing it when I went. I like your other pictures to. I think I took the same Picasso picture also.

5:38 PM  
Blogger steph102981 said...

sry about the sp. Its kinda my week point. Jerry I think we have talked about this in the past. If you recall,its a medical thing. Most of the time I do spell check but it comes up as another word so I don't know its wrong

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home